Schmoozing as defined by Dictonary.com is the ability “to converse casually, especially in order to gain an advantage or make a social connection.” I first came across the concept of “schmoozing” when I played the life simulation computer game, “The Sims 2”. In this simulation of life challenges, you soon learn the folly of not sleeping enough and not going to the toilet on time. Relearning the basics. One interesting concept of the game is schmoozing. To advance in your career and to get promotions, you must be punctual, come to the office with a happy attitude and also you must make friends. The more friends, the faster your promotion. In the game, you may also have to shmooze the principal to get your computer progeny into that highly esteemed private school. Frighteningly similar to real life, don’t you think?
Anyway, that’s a slightly negative use of the word. If you look at the award logo, you will see that it is refered to as the “Blogging Community Involvement Award”. I think the spirit of this award is best reflected by that thought.
Squirrel was kind enough to name me as an awardee of this award. Before we get accused of nepotism and award fixing, I’d just like to say we are not related. Besides, it’s a given that all squirrels rawk! Anyway, many thanks squirrel.
Here are the Schmooze rules:
1. If, and only if, you get The Power of Schmooze Award, write a post with links to 5 blogs that have schmoozed you into submission.
2. Link to this post and Mike so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme.
3. Optional: Proudly display the ‘Power of Shmooze Award’ with a link to the post that you wrote.
Obviously, I read a large number of blogs regularly because I enjoy them all and every one of them have their special characteristics. My task now though, is to select 5 that stand out because they are great Schmoozers or by my understanding, those who have greatly helped to foster the networking of this wonderful community. Through your blogging social skills, you have encouraged us, informed us, amused us and most importantly helped us to meet others and to expand our social circle in the blogging community. Some of you have already been nominated and in the spirit of things, I will not repeat that nomination. By the power bestowed on me by my fellow squirrel, I award the Power of Schmooze Award to;
1. Josie at All in Good Time. I stumbled on to Josie’s site very early on and am I glad Idid so. Her blog is always warm, friendly and welcoming. You’ll soon meet a whole bunch of lively bloggers at her site. She and her Quarks throw some great virtual parties from time to time. There’s a whole lot of schmoozing going on.
2. Proxima at The Echo Tree. Proxima has fostered a very wide and diverse community at her blog but again she makes every one feel at home and tries to get every one introduced and interacting. Variety is the spice of life. Schmoozing with style.
3. Top Cat at Open Window. Top Cat is one of the most genuinely friendly and all round nice guy in the bloggosphere. He has built up a lot of friends as his blog has progressed. Somehow he still keeps it very personal despite his large following. Personal, real, sincere, warm and funny. He is a wonderful schmoozer and host at his blog.
4. Jocelyn at O Mighty Crisis. Jocelyn has a very interesting blog on many levels but in this context, her disarmingly dry but charming humour makes everyone comfortable. Somehow, she has schmoozed us all into her cheering section and we get to know each other in the process.
5. Lorraine at PhotographsL. She’s a quiet individual and doesn’t like crowds. Not a typical schmoozer at all. Yet she treats everyone that comes by her blog with her special brand of hospitality and attention. Recently, she did a series of edited photos that helped us meet other bloggers. She is always encouraging interaction amongst her visitors. She is a rare schmoozing catalyst.
Since it is the weekend and in celebration of the receiving and giving of this award, I’d like to offer for your viewing pleasure my current favorite video on the internet. Please bear in mind that this is a lip sync’ed which was done by the folks at one office and was done as a single take. I think you’ll agree that it is amazingly well done. Have a good weekend.