Tradition is important here in the Realm. And so, it is time for my semi-annual, very occasional, sometime, when I remember to do it and am not too lazy, once in a blue moon event. I refer, of course, to my tribute to the funny one-liner. The last time I did it was here, “one-liner-or-two”.
Yes, every year during the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, some critics sift through all the comedy routines performing, nominate 5 one-liners each, which are then put to a panel of 2000 people for voting, and out comes the official pick for the best one-liners.
Here are some of my favorites from the list;
1. “My dad has suggested that I register for a donor card. He’s a man after my own heart.” Masai Graham
2. “Why is it old people say ‘there’s no place like home’, yet when you put them in one …” Stuart Mitchell
3. “I’ve been happily married for four years – out of a total of 10.” Mark Watson
4. “Brexit is a terrible name, sounds like cereal you eat when you are constipated.” Tiff Stevenson
5. “Is it possible to mistake schizophrenia for telepathy, I hear you ask.” Jordan Brookes
6. “My motto in life is always give 100%. Which makes blood donation quite tricky.” Tony Cowards
And then there were the one liners which caused the most groans from the crowd like Darren Walsh‘s gem; “What do you call three members of Abba in a French slaughterhouse? Abba trois.”
In case you were wondering about the title of this post, “Lost in Thought”, it is a quote from one of my favorite one liners of all time which is “I just got lost in thought……it was unfamiliar territory.”
(feature post image of squirrel from The Business Insider Australia)